13.8.18

Right In My Own Backyard – A Brand New Garden

Alright so it’s August 8 2018, and I was wondering if I was gonna get this blog up and running again or not.  I’ve been trying since I started my new garden, and that was back in June.  So, here we are.  I’m still not sure how this whole blog thing is gonna play out.  It’s been seven years since I last posted, and 2 years since I even had a garden.


I have a new garden now in a new town, and I decided that I wanted to start documenting again, but there’s been so much hassle with my blog writer.  Windows live writer is now open live writer and things have changed quite a bit.  So I might not be staying with blogger.  I was thinking maybe just documenting on facebook, or instagram or even moving over to wordpress.  In any case lots has happened with the garden since June.


New Raised Garden Bed
New raised garden
To start with, the new veggie garden is a 6’ x 4’ raised box at the end of the backyard in which I planted sweet millions, cucumber, green beans, bell peppers and onions.  I had wanted to plant cauliflower too, but as I’m giving the square foot method another go, there just wasn’t room.  I also have a side garden which runs alongside the house where I have dianthus, snap dragon, brussels sprouts and endive.

The cauliflower ended up in pots which didn’t do so well; they didn’t get very big and ended up turning black.  I had 6 plants and 4 pots so I put two in the ground off to the side in what I call the “spare” garden, and just one of those did well.  I actually harvested it today. 

The plants doing the best are the sweet millions.  I harvest quite often from the four plants I have.  I think next year I’ll put those in the ground, as they seem to be overpowering the rest of the box.

The green beans did pretty well.  I planted 3 squares of nine from seed.  two of the squares did well, but the third was raided by the birds or squirrels.  I found a green bean plant sharing a square with one of my sweet million plants and another one in the spare garden.

As for the onions, I have no idea if or when they’ll be ready for harvest, and I don’t think I’ll be getting any cucumber this year.  In the past I would have had some picked by now, but this year doesn’t look so good.  I put in 4 plants, but it looks like only one took off.  The plant is sprawling despite my efforts to contain it.  It has a lot of flowers, and I started to see a couple of cucumbers a couple of weeks ago, but they’re still tiny.


Side Garden
The side garden
The side garden is so – so.  In there I have dianthus which looked like it wasn’t gonna happen but came along okay.  There’s also snap dragons which come and go, brussels sprouts that are reall, really slow, and endive which I only put in because I liked the look of it.  Now it has some really pretty purple flowers on it. 

So that’s about it for the summary of my new garden.  We’ll have to see what I can do about this blog.  The photo situation for multiple photos is a mess with this new blog writer.  I can’t put in the collages that the old version had, so I’ll have to figure out what I’m gonna do about that.  I’m thinking I might have to leave blogger altogether and just document on facebook or maybe instagram.  In the meantime, I’ll put up a couple of pics and videos.


 






































No comments:

Post a Comment