1.4.11

Right in My Own Backyard - Spring is in the Air

I guess this should turn out to be a relatively short post since until yesterday there wasn’t anything new to report.   The seedlings look as though they’re starting to slow down a bit in terms of growth, and I’m starting to feel hopeful that the weather will be co – operative for a timely planting.  Yesterday it was so nice out that I was able to get out and shoot a new video of the garden up close.  It must have been around 10° and today we had about 8° or 9°.  It’s still going down into the minuses, but I think we should stay pretty much on the positive during the day at least.

So last Wednesday I noticed that a tomato seedling had keeled over and now some of the broccoli has as well; I might have to plant more of that, but I want to try some succession planting anyway, so I guess it’s not that big of a deal.  I’m just hoping they’ll hold up well enough ‘til I can get them in the ground which hopefully will be sometime in the next week or so.  I started hardening off yesterday and I had them out again today for a couple of hours.   I know it’s early, but it’s been soooo nice out I thought it wouldn’t hurt.

I decided to add some more pepper seeds because even though I know peppers are really slow growers, I still felt like it was still taking too long to see a start on them even for peppers.  I now have three or four red pepper sprouts peeking out of the soil.  I think it might be a while before I have big enough pepper plants to put in the garden; I don’t know.

Bell Pepper Seedlings March 30 2011_1Red Pepper Seedlings March 31 2011_2Seedlings March 31 2011


 



Red Bell Pepper Sprouts March 31

I started some herb seeds in one of my planter boxes.  My Mum was kind enough to let me keep them in her porch since we are still getting negative temperatures at night.  I used a full 18L bag of potting soil in that one box and I was only able to start 5 herbs, but I think I shouldn’t have done full rows from side to side.  (You’ll see what I mean in the video) I probably should have cut it lengthwise first and done 10 squares.  That way I would have had a small plant pot worth of seeds in each square since they’ll be going into my herb basket anyway.

I have a lot of cleaning up to do in the garden getting up the leaves and stuff from the tree next door.  I guess the leaves aren’t as bad as the maple seeds though.  Once they get going, they don’t seem to stop.  I pulled out more maple seedlings from the garden last year; what a pain.  I’m gonna get myself a pitch fork too to help with the soil turning.   I just help I can get enough black earth to help cut the weight of the garden’s natural soil this year.

Well, I’m getting anxious now to get out there and start working.  Too bad the ground is still so hard; I’d like to at least get the fencing up.

Did I say short post?  Rolling on the floor laughing



<a href="http://www.linkedtube.com/6aYEm6NXe-M21c82d647aad37d12f333d93a24b0bc1.htm">LinkedTube</a>

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/4/11 17:46

    You are doing a good job, hopefully tomorrow will will try the fence..keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. My faithful supporter; I thank you

    ReplyDelete