20.6.10

Right in My Own Backyard - June is Busting Out All Over

There’s been quite a lot going on in the garden in a short time.  Between my last video that I filmed on June 15 and this latest one I did on June 18, the yellow beans have taken off like crazy.  I couldn’t believe my eyes!  I had nine really good sized plants.  Not too shabby considering only 3 days earlier I only had three or four that weren’t even totally up.   And not only that, I’m beginning to have hope that I will get some cantaloupe this summer after all.  I was going through my usual “fluffing” routine in the square foot garden and thinking about giving up on the cantaloupe when I nearly ripped a seedling out with my weeder.  I have four really good looking cantaloupe seedlings in one of the mounds as well, and the one plant that I thought wasn’t going anywhere looks a bit taller too. 

Only four squares out of sixteen in the square foot garden didn’t take.  I’m going to dig the weeds out of those and replant.  Still, twelve out of sixteen squares isn’t too bad at all in my book, and they all look really healthy.  At the time I planted though, I didn’t know peas were something that needed to be trellised.  I think next year I’ll plant the peas topsy turvy style.  I’ve decided that the tomatoes and cucumbers will all be done that way so as to leave more room in the garden for other things.   I’m wondering if the latest batch of green beans will go anywhere now.  I’ve been seeing my seeds scattered around the garden, so I guess the birds are up to their shenanigans again.

I got the plants that I picked up from Canadian Tire a few days ago in.  I just stuck the pineapple sage beside one of the tomato plants, and the chrysanthemum down by the fennel.  I decided to dig up a couple of the cucumber plants and put them into a bucket, and I put my common sage plant on top of those.  I’m hoping that by moving out two of the cucumbers, it’ll leave more space for the others to spread out.  Oh and I noticed this afternoon that my strawberry flower looks like it’s turning into a little strawberry!   

I got a tip that adding peat moss around my plants can be a “real life saver” for my plants, so I hope I can pick some up.  I also found out why the ground packs in so tightly and clumps up so easily; apparently it’s too sandy and not truly soil.  I don’t know what I can do about that.  I added black earth at the end of last season, but maybe it wasn’t enough.  I don’t know.  Anyway, for now things look pretty good, and I’ll see what I can do to make it better next  year.

No comments:

Post a Comment