2.6.10

Right in My Own Backyard - Rhubarb Crumble


My first backyard recipe actually comes from my neighbours’  back yard.   They’re not fans of rhubarb, so they just throw it away.  I had offered to take it because my Mum makes strawberry, rhubarb pies (not my favourite).  It turned out Mum didn’t have any strawberries, and not wanting to waste the rhubarb I had to figure out something to do with it.  Considering I’m not a fan of rhubarb either, I found this to be absolutely delicious.  If you like apple crumble or Dutch apple pie, you’ll probably go for this.

What you need:

Sauce
1l / 4 C. Rhubarb 250ml / 1 C. (heaping) Granulated Sugar
45ml / 3 T. Butter 60ml / 4 T. Flour

Crumb Topping

250ml / 1 C. Flour 250ml / 1 C. Oatmeal
250ml / 1 C. Brown Sugar 250ml / 1/2 C. butter

What you do:
 
Oven 190º C / 375º F

1.) Cut rhubarb into small pieces, and in a mixing bowl mix together with sugar, flour and butter using a spatula or wooden spoon  the ingredients and set aside
.
2.) In a separate mixing bowl use a pastry blender to mix the flour, brown sugar and oatmeal.  Cut the butter into small pieces, and again with the pastry blender, mix it into the oatmeal mix.  Once you get it going you can continue to blend the butter into the mixture with your hands until you have a large crumbly mixture in the bowl.  Don’t over blend, as you are not looking to create a dough.

3.) Put the sauce mixture into a greased (I used butter) rectangular baking dish, cover with the crumb topping and bake for 35 mins.  Longer if you want to brown it more.


Tips:
  • Make sure you don't get a fine overly quick cooking oatmeal; you want a good sized flake for texture.
  • For gift giving, I used **pyrex dishes that come with their own lids.  It makes a better presentation than just scooping out a serving into a container.  This way I can bake and give in the same dish.
  • If you're like me and don't like to get muck under your nails, latex or vinyl examination gloves work a treat.





I got my pyrex dishes at my local Walmart, but you can get them online too.  Note also that the rectangular dishes shown in my photos are the smaller 3 and 6 cup ones not the 9 x 12 oblong, however, pyrex does make the longer ones with lids too.


This is just like my set but I have red lids



**The two rectangular dishes in the set pictured above are exactly what I used to make the rhubarb recipe.  They are labeled as storage and are not officially marked as bake ware, but according to pyrexware.com, they are "pre heated oven safe" , and on the dishes they are marked that they can't go under the broiler.  Of course the plastic lids can't go in the oven.  I personally don't put the lids in the microwave either because I have found from experience that they go all out of shape from doing that.


I have to admit I started baking with them before I even researched this info, because to me the name Pyrex means it can go in the oven. But I had heard of a few people saying that they had pyrex explode in the oven, so I thought I'd better get more information.  I personally have never had an issue with pyrex exploding or anything like that, but  I do remember when I was about 8 or 9 my grandmother had a pyrex measuring cup explode after she poured boiling water into it, I was always taught that mixing extreme temperatures can cause it to explode, and that you should always put your pyrex in a cold oven if you take it from the fridge or freezer.


Naturally, if you are uncomfortable with these, pyrex does have a line specifically marked as bake ware.

Pyrex also has more information about this and how to use pyrex safely on their website.



Technorati Tags: ,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment